Tuesday, July 31, 2012

No Makeup?

There was a time when I was completely obsessed with makeup. My room was filled with it because of how pleasing it was to my eyes and just the thought of having it there made me feel content..until I wanted more. I spent most of my money buying more makeup (if not sweets!) and I'd watch endless YouTube videos of makeup gurus and try out multiple 'faces' each day (though no one knew of this). I'd also take pictures of myself and look back at my 'portfolio' of makeup looks with pride. Makeup was an addiction!

When I became a true Christian, I made the choice to spiritually fast from that aspect in my life because of the sins in my heart associated with it~pride/vanity, lust, covetousness, idolatry, deceit (1 John 2:16, Colossians 3:5, Mark 7:22-23, 2 Peter 2:18)... After a year or so of being makeup free, I found that going natural has liberated me from those sins. Instead of desiring to please myself and others, my heart was more God-focused. After that experience, I decided to go make-up free. I still want to look good so I go for what I call a 'polished' look~clear nail polish, curled lashes, chapstick/clear lip gloss. I prefer to 'polish' rather than 'paint' the beauty and image God has given me.

*Everyone is different, but those of you who struggle with a desperately wicked heart (Mark 7:21) such as myself, then consider fasting from this aspect in your life. Pray that God will purify your heart and pray for a desire to seek God alone. 

*Putting something away that helps you from sinning against God is NOT what saves you (1 Peter 3:21). Our 'righteousness' is as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6)! We can't gain salvation through any other way than Christ Jesus. He never transgressed God's law, whereas we have. His blood was shed and His life was given freely out of a sacrificial love and then He rose again to say, "Hey, my blood/grace is sufficient for you!" (2 Corinthians 12:9). All we have to do is believe and to TRUST that His grace can cover us. He will then wash you from your sins and give you HIS righteousness (Isaiah 61:10)! From then on, obeying God is out of the love we have for Him because of His salvation (1 John 5:3) and it is through the SPIRIT ALONE that we can be sanctified (look at my post: Like Christ?). After Salvation, we still rely on Christ. I still rely on Christ, but my heart for God moves me to abstain from sin and to cling to Him. I don't doubt that the Holy Spirit moved me and changed me from this experience. I pray the Holy Spirit will show you the sin in your life and move you to holiness~not for salvation, but for sanctification (1 Corinthians 1:30).

Your Sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment